Friday, April 6, 2012

New Start

This has been quite a whirlwind of a week!  So long story short (because I don’t want to give details publically), I had to switch home stays this week.  It all happened really quickly but it was for the better.  I wasn’t being treated very well in the other home but now I’m in a wonderful Greek family’s house in Burwood Heights!  When I say Greek, picture My Big Fat Greek Wedding… literally, it’s hilarious.  The couple is in their upper 70’s and they are complete opposites from the other family I was staying with.  They are so sweet and loving!  Michael, the father, is a Baptist pastor at the nearby Greek church (services are only in Greek).  He also used to teach Greek school!  Marina is the most adorable little Greek lady who feeds all people like it’s her job.  She has three sons who are all grown and four grandchildren.  I made instant buddies with Anna, the three year old, only grand-daughter, who is so spoiled but adorable!  I brought them some Hot Cross Buns from the Bake House when I arrived yesterday and they were happy :)  They also are acting like they’re saving me from the family from hell… haha.
I’m really thankful for this switch.  It’s been a rough 6 weeks at the other home.  Thankfully, I am surrounded by an amazing community of friends at Wesley that this has still been an amazing experience so far and I love it here!  I am a little tired and stressed from all the drama but it can only get better from here on. 
Thinking about it, I am in Australia but surrounded by Greeks at home, Italians at work and a loving Egyptian “grandmother” who has adopted me as her daughter at my service placement.  And they call America the “Melting Pot.”  It’s been so fun to meet and love all these different people! Not to mention the incredible Aussies that are here and know how to have a good time :) 

Easter weekend is here and we’re out of school for a week and a half!!!!


Last night I was invited to a Passover meal by one of the Wesley students.  His family and their friends from church have a traditional service/dinner together every Passover.  There was a Jewish “rabbi” from South Africa who spoke along with my friend’s parents.  We sung Jewish songs, had traditional Passover food and danced around before the feast.  They were in no hurry so dinner started around 9 pm.  After that my friend, Daniel, his sister and I went over to their brother’s birthday party at his house.  This party was incredible!  They had hired all kinds of lighting, a smoke machine, bouncers and 3 or 4 DJ’s!  It was so much fun and I met some really fun people from their group of friends, most of whom were from Hillsong Church.  It was such a fun time!  One thing people in Sydney know how to do is have fun :)

No comments:

Post a Comment